Advertisements
28th December 2010 23:21 #1
Regular User
  • Send Message
When I first started here, ads were no problem. They were there and that was the end of story. But today, I was reading some manga like always and all of a sudden BOOM, one of those "YOUR COMPUTER MAY BE INFECTED WITH A VIRUS" scamming ads take me to their page without even clicking on it. Would appreciate if this were fixed. If it was meant to be there, I'm pretty sure several people such as myself will be leaving.
29th December 2010 00:53 #2
Site Administrator
  • Send Message
Hey twutle, thanks for your concerns.

First of all, adverts are needed to pay for the servers that run the website. I made it so that users, who are logged in, do not see ANY advertisements.

I will assume that you were logged out, however.

Our advertisements are actaully managed by an external organsation called the Rubicon Project. Whilst i'm not saying that it's impossible, It is *highly* unlikely that they would have let an advert such as this slip through (and even if it were to, much larger sites would have reported this by now as it is a very unwated type of advert)

If this happens again, be sure to send me a message with the manga page URL, and the URL of the site where you are redirected. In which case, we can then forward the concern onto the appropriate ad serving company to get it removed immediatley.

To make sure, it may be worth noting
  • It would be common for PCs that are infected with adware/malware to do this (redirect automatically)
  • Advertisers are not permitted to redirect traffic automatically

It's unfortunate that you got redirected regardless. But if you are 100%, be sure to forward me on the details the next time it does happen.
29th December 2010 01:26 #3
Regular User
  • Send Message
Thanks for filling me in. I'll be sure to follow that procedure if it happens again.
8th January 2011 20:12 #4
Emperor of the Forum
  • Send Message
just a few seconds ago i had the same problem

yOUR COMPUTER MAY BE INFECTED WITH A VIRUS
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
my name is Jens by the way , but don't abuse it because I have that name copyrighted
9th January 2011 07:12 #5
Site Administrator
  • Send Message
Oh dear.

MrAcid, was this just an advertisement.. or did it forward you on?

Thanks for bringing to attention.

If it ever shows up again, try and take a screenshot too if possible (I haven't seen these ads, but would like to know what they look like).

And to clarify, you were also viewing the website logged out?
9th January 2011 23:12 #6
Emperor of the Forum
  • Send Message
a little bar popped up with the text ''YOUR COMPUTER MAY BE INFECTED WITH A VIRUS''

it opened my computer and tryed to download or infect something
i tryed to close it but it wouldnt work so i used alt+f4

i wasnt send to another site
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
my name is Jens by the way , but don't abuse it because I have that name copyrighted
10th January 2011 00:12 #7
Site Administrator
  • Send Message
Thanks for that MrAcid

I have sent an email to the guys who manage Mangable's advertisements (the Rubicon Project).

I'll let you guys know more when I know more. Of course, we display a lot of adverts per day - the tricky part is finding the one that you guys have been shown.

MrAcid, but just checking - you were viewing Manga logged out - correct?
10th January 2011 00:24 #8
Emperor of the Forum
  • Send Message
i just wanted to log in when it happend
but i wasnt logged in when it happend
Last edited: 10th January 2011 00:25 by MrAcid

10th January 2011 00:33 #9
Site Administrator
  • Send Message
Rightyo. Cheers.

I was just checking that you weren't seeing adverts when you were logged in - cause then that would be a problem on my part
11th January 2011 17:29 #10
Site Administrator
  • Send Message
Right guys. I have contacted the Rubicon Project, who have asked me to get the following information for them to deal with the matter

• URL(s) that the users experienced these issues.
  • The country the users are located in.
  • The date/time(s) that each user was effected.
  • Any additional information.

Of course this makes sense. They need this specific information to be able to track down the one single advertisement as I believe they serve over 2,000,000,000 advertisement impressions per day.

If this does happen again, hopefully you're able to grab these details and we can track down the bad advertisement! :D
Post Your Reply
You need to be logged in to post a comment. Need an account? Click here to register,