Chat Room
18th February 2012 22:36 #1
Regular User
  • Send Message
Hey, I'd really like as many opinions on this as possible!
I've already talked with Andy about this and I agree it's up to everyone else whether this is a good idea or not. So please bear with me and read everything I have to say about the topic.

Now, just like the title says it's about having a chat room for Mangable. A chat room that's commonly used on other Manga and Anime sites, Chatango. I noticed some of you are already familiar with Chatango. For those who aren't, Chatango is a separate site for chatting. There you can make a profile and chat rooms that can be embedded on to another site.

There are many reasons on why you might consider putting a chat room on Mangable. For example:
  • A place to chat and take a break from reading with many people instantly.
  • Advertisement for Mangable (this will be more clear later when you visit the chat room).
  • If you're like me then it would also be a place to fit in to.

The main problem I see with a chat room is keeping it active. As long as it doesn't show there are less than 5 people on the window then others are willing to stay. If a chat room seems like a good idea it needs to be in a place where everyone (even new comers) will see it.

I've been to many chat rooms that were part of anime sites (Tailedfox) and manga sites (Our Manga). Each one died because of problems happening on both the chat room (was abandoned by mods) and the host site (anime videos crashed). Mangable has many fans and doesn't seem to be going down any time soon x3
Also it's manga, manga never dies.

Below is a link to the chat room that may or may not be used (again it's up to all of you, so for now it's just a test chat). If the community doesn't want it then it's only fair not to have it. When you visit go ahead and look around. You don't need an account to chat there. Also, very important, take a look at the rules that are set up too. See if they may be too strict or not.

http://mangablesite.chatango.com/
PLEASE COMMENT HERE to support the chat room idea!

Facebook Profile
DeviantART Profile
Chatango Profile
18th February 2012 23:19 #2
Death's best friend
  • Send Message
Ok so now we have 2 chat groups for mangable.

Which ever one you use is fine by me.

The link is in my sig
Last edited: 18th February 2012 23:19 by uni2123

Warning: I might fall asleep on the spot.
Join me in
Mangable's chat room

My "full" list My Anime List
19th February 2012 00:03 #3
Regular User
  • Send Message
I am all for it, I myself have also asked Andy about this as well. It is free to use anyway so its not like there is any issue with adding it to the site. Additionally it could attract some of the regular users from chatango to mangable. As long as its properly monitored, no harm can come of it.
19th February 2012 00:03 #4
Regular User
  • Send Message
Sorry for the double post,this message was same as the above. Not sure how it happend, I'll just edited this one to keep it from being usless spam.
Last edited: 19th February 2012 00:24 by DemonKingHiro
19th February 2012 00:32 #5
Regular User
  • Send Message
i like the idea.. as long as it isnt childishly modded *coughabusecough* like someone up there said ^ needs to be in location everyone can see, so do what some other sites do, put it on every page :}
~Stevi~
23rd February 2012 04:23 #6
Regular User
  • Send Message
Also to add to what Hiro added...

Even if the chat room fails or has problems we can get rid of it as well. It's not like once it's up it'll be permanent.
So even if you don't have an opinion right now, it's fine.

Facebook Profile
DeviantART Profile
Chatango Profile
5th March 2012 00:44 #7
Regular User
  • Send Message
Don't be shy people, say what ya think, even if you don't give a rats ass.
15th March 2012 17:14 #8
Official Bug Finder
  • Send Message
I don't think it will be necessary to add. Reasons being
1- the amount of people responding to this
2- There are hardly enough active users in the first place so who would use it/How badly is it needed?
I'd be all for it if it would boost activity and such though. I don't use it because no one is ever there. Blah blah00(=infinity)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Insane: 1 In a state of mind that prevents normal perception, behavior, or social interaction; seriously mentally ill.
2 A quality or action characterized or caused by madness.
15th March 2012 17:35 #9
Regular User
  • Send Message
I'd use it if there was one. Just went and posted in it now actually. But it really does come down to the amount of traffic that it gets. It's no fun if you have no one to talk to.
COME CHAT WITH US: MANGABLE CHAT
15th March 2012 21:19 #10
Regular User
  • Send Message
Right, but like I said it would need to be in a place people would see it. Even those who are new. Also no one will be at that chat right now because of it being dead. All chat rooms are like that. As long as it shows people going on and off and it being alive then others will stay and give it a chance.

Also I have friends on chatango who are looking for a place to chat. They would most likely be there along with whoever else they invite. And they may even become members here.

A lot of websites were able to gain members because of chatango chat rooms. There are thousands of people on that site and when they make a chat room their home they eventually want to see the host site as well. As long as nothing goes wrong with the chat like it losing mods or mods creating drama and such...

AND ANOTHER THING...Uni mentioned that these forums aren't as active as before..so you can't blame this thread for that. I'm sure the only reason why you two posted is 'cause you saw my posts. I normally don't reply to any threads either so I can understand some people....
Last edited: 15th March 2012 21:24 by Salynn

Facebook Profile
DeviantART Profile
Chatango Profile
16th March 2012 14:03 #11
Regular User
  • Send Message
I'll use it whenever I'm online, I'll see if I can convince a few people I know to use it as well.
16th March 2012 21:55 #12
Regular User
  • Send Message
Thanks Zach, but the problem isn't that it's not active.
It's getting the chat room on this site. If people want to use it then it will need to be where they can get to it easiest.
I don't care that it isn't active right now because that's only natural.

The goals here are:

1. Get it on Mangable
2. Make it active
3. Keep it active

And in that exact order. If the only argument people have is that it isn't active right now then they need to look at other chat rooms who don't have a host site as well. Let me know if any of them are active past 3 days.

I've been on many chat rooms and was even a mod for one that USED to have over 1000 people visit. So I know how these things work.
Last edited: 16th March 2012 21:56 by Salynn

Facebook Profile
DeviantART Profile
Chatango Profile
18th March 2012 00:16 #13
Regular User
  • Send Message
Theres an advantage to the users as well as the site in this one, Say you just got done reading one of your series and something crazy happened, you could come on the chat and talk to someone about it and make a few new friends (just be careful about spoilers).
18th March 2012 14:51 #14
Regular User
  • Send Message
The chat room has already helped me connect with other users. It's great.
28th March 2012 17:38 #15
Regular User
  • Send Message
Only 4 people in the group right now and its seen more activity then half the groups on chatango, if it gets hosted I have no doubt it will remain active for a long while.
Post Your Reply
You need to be logged in to post a comment. Need an account? Click here to register,