Mangable Version 2
25th September 2011 21:33 #1
Site Administrator
  • Send Message
So welcome to version 2 of Mangable! The new version has been worked on, on and off for the past 2 years. It’s certainly overdue, as the old system was flawed both in the design, and functionality.

To start, the speed of the new site has been improved vastly. All of the code has been re-written from scratch, and very little of the old site still exists. This not only allows errors to be fixed quicker, but functionality can be added more efficiently, not to mention the speed of the page loads.

Probably my favorite alteration is whilst viewing manga. Subtle changes have been made, but overall greatly increases the speed of the page loads (probably the biggest flaw in the previous version). Whilst viewing manga, the next image in sequence will be pre-loaded, the chapter navigation will follow you up and down screen, and all of the pages are cached.

The integration of Facebook means that it is easier to connect to Mangable. Both new and existing accounts can be converted to Facebook, meaning your profile picture is automatically updated, and you can sign-in to Mangable with a single click (the ‘Connect to Facebook’ buttons). No more usernames, no more passwords.

The dashboard has tons of changes and features. We try to predict the Manga that you might not have read since the last update, and the manga that we think you have more to read. There is the ability to re-order Manga, as well as various filters and information about the series.

Searching is a completely new feature in this version. You now have the ability to search by particular authors and artists, ratings, completed series, categories, years released.. and more. You shouldn’t have any more problems when trying to locate manga.

Manga of the week is a feature that was planned from the beginning. This relies on a combination of manga views, the ratings, the amount it has been read in the previous week, and how many people have added it to their dashboard.

Adding chapter names was a big ask. With over 2,500 series, and some 80,000 chapters, chapter names are here to stay (as long as we can keep on top of them)

The ‘top manga’ used to rely on the amount of views that manga had. We thought the introduction of a rating system would be a better indication of how popular and recommended manga is.

Whilst the forums haven’t changed tremendously, subtle changes have occurred in preparation for larger-scale plans (such as moderators/administrators). Users can now be assigned custom user titles and colours, helping distinguish more authoritative users.

There are many changes that could not be implemented until the new version was alive and kicking (I’ll not bore you with the reasons why), for example the ability to change your email address.

Hope you enjoy the changes,
Andy
25th September 2011 22:43 #2
Regular User
  • Send Message
andy i love the new layout.
25th September 2011 22:59 #3
Forum Alchemist
  • Send Message
WOW!!!!! This the first thing that crossed my mind and the second thing would be to congrats you Andy for this makeover of the site. It looks great and attractive and the appearance it seems more user-friendly than the old one.

Great Work with the makeover.
25th September 2011 23:54 #4
Death's best friend
  • Send Message
Congrates andy on finishing the site. I need to talk my time to explore the new site. I love the new layout and the colour!!!!
Warning: I might fall asleep on the spot.
Join me in
Mangable's chat room

My "full" list My Anime List
26th September 2011 00:01 #5
Forum Alchemist
  • Send Message
About the site colour, does the site have more than one template which could change the colour? I was thinking that it would be nice if the site would have a different colour for every season. Just a random idea.
26th September 2011 00:06 #6
Site Administrator
  • Send Message
Thanks for the kind words uni! :D Feel free to explore, I'm still finding new things myself that I forgot I did xD

Honheimen - It's not a bad idea, really. I realise the site is rather bright. With winter around the corner, it would perhaps be nice to have a darker layout (dark nights and a bright screen aren't a good combination). I will be implementing some sort of system so the user can have a dark theme whilst viewing the actual manga.

EDIT: And try to find a new method instead of this captcha! ARghh! I've just been having a look at all of the posts that have failed the forum 'number' system whilst posting. 285,000 posts in just over a week.

Last edited: 26th September 2011 00:08 by andy

26th September 2011 00:12 #7
Forum Alchemist
  • Send Message
It sounds nice and maybe in the image on the sides and top some snowflakes, and for the spring something greenish(does the word greenish exits?)?
26th September 2011 00:21 #8
Death's best friend
  • Send Message
@Honheimen not a bad idea all though the colours doesn't applies to me at the sourthnern hemisphere
Join me in
Mangable's chat room

26th September 2011 01:22 #9
Regular User
  • Send Message
sweet, amazing, awesome, cool, spectacular, i can go on. great job andy.
26th September 2011 01:44 #10
Regular User
  • Send Message
Looks all rosy
26th September 2011 04:28 #11
Irregular User
  • Send Message
excellent work Andy the new version is great
26th September 2011 10:49 #12
not you
  • Send Message
WHERE DID ALL THESE PEOPLE POSTING COME FROM?!

oh i love the new site
Don't hate me

~meh

hey look gaiz, i can triforce

▲ ▲
26th September 2011 12:22 #13
Forum Alchemist
  • Send Message
Originally posted by IAmPanda

oh i love the new site

I also thought about this panda, i think that everyone was hiding until mangable v2 was launched
26th September 2011 23:21 #14
Regular User
  • Send Message
lovin it, man. great job, andy! :)
Lovely.
27th September 2011 04:29 #15
Death's best friend
  • Send Message
Originally posted by Honheimen
Originally posted by IAmPanda

oh i love the new site

I also thought about this panda, i think that everyone was hiding until mangable v2 was launched

THE FORUMS ARE ALIVE AGAIN!!! Welcome back people
Join me in
Mangable's chat room

Post Your Reply
You need to be logged in to post a comment. Need an account? Click here to register,