Required Reading
25th October 2010 07:28 #1
Regular User
  • Send Message
I know we have a lot of reccomendations and stuff and I love it. But I wanted to make a list of essentials for people who are just starting out, or have missed out on what I view as the essentials if you read manga. I have created this list with my own criteria: 1, it has to be over 300 Chapters and 2, It most likely was made into an anime. Those are my criteria, let me know if you think I am either too strict or these are ludicrous criteria.

Naruto is first, mainly because it opened my eyes to the manga world and made me an Otaku. Those of you who know what an Otaku is most likely are one yourselves, and those who do not know what it is, then you are not one yet.

One piece is also something everyone should try. But with it you should know that it seems you either love it or hate it, and there rarely is an in between.

Bleach also a love it or hate it type manga.

Katekyo Hitman Reborn, even though I disagree it still meets the Criteria.

Hajime No Ippo, absolutely, has over 900 chapters.

History's Strongest Disciple

Kekkaishi, even though I haven't read it yet, I do believe that it is an essential read and it is on my to do list.

There is also Flame of Recca and some old ones that you should read but are not required because they do not meet my criteria so I did not put them on the list.

These are all the ones I believe most people should have read or are reading. It is, in my opinion, a nice mix of most of the genres except for shojo, mainly because i don't like shojo. Let me know what you think and if you have any others you want to put in here.

Remember, this is required reading not recommended reading.
ME LIKE MANGA
25th October 2010 20:09 #2
Emperor of the Forum
  • Send Message
one piece is good

eyeshield 21, its a sport manga. So i think a lot of people are not going to read it but it is good

This does not meet the criteria but its good
Air Gear it has 292 chapters (plz dont go hatting)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
my name is Jens by the way , but don't abuse it because I have that name copyrighted
26th October 2010 01:28 #3
The World's Greatest Exorcist
  • Send Message
Rave Master although it has 296 chapters (close enough right?) Also, yea i agree with Shnouki you shoud definitely read Kekkaishi. It has comedy, romance, action and mystery.

I would also like to suggest InuYasha. It has 558 chapters and 167 episodes. It won the Shogakukan Award for best Shonen title in 2002. In 2006, it was ranked 20th best anime. Thereby, It is Required reading.

Also Rorouni Kenshin although it has only 256 chapters it is an excellent work of literature and art. It has sold 51,000,000+ copies. The anime contains 95 episodes and one film.
26th October 2010 04:59 #4
Regular User
  • Send Message
i hated Kekkaishi, so boring at the beginning and so repetitive, only got interesting 50 chapters on but still not a good manga in my opinion
26th October 2010 05:12 #5
Regular User
  • Send Message
also Shnouki your criteria is really bad, one 300 chapters! WTF! a lot of fantastic manga haven't even reached 200, and loads of great manga aren't animes, like
-Yankee-kun to Megane-chan
-AIKI
-Beelzebub
-Code Breaker
-Defense Devil
-Psyren
-The Breaker
though some are getting an anime soon, but none of them have even reach 200 yet, and they're all fantastic manga, so i have to disagree with your criteria
26th October 2010 08:36 #6
Regular User
  • Send Message
Mangalov3r, in defense, these are required readings, I had to come up with a criteria somehow. I know there are a lot of fantastic mangas and manwhas out there, but I had to draw the line somewhere. I thought that 300 chapters shows how viable the manga has been and that it has lasted over 4 years, because let us be honest, there are tons of fantastic short mangas out there, and I am a fan of a bunch. But i was looking at longevity in this case. Also I chose the anime as the second criteria based on the fact that a lot of people start one and get into the other. I started watching anime before I started reading manga, and that is why I made it part of the criteria, so that someone starting out can look at both. Does my criteria now make sense, or would you have changed it, and if so to what?
ME LIKE MANGA
26th October 2010 10:27 #7
Regular User
  • Send Message
i already knew why you did that criteria but if the people reading this thread they would already be into anime/manga, if not then why would they even be in a forum for manga and anime, even if they were interested they wouldn't go to a forum to check it out and see if they like manga and anime so thats why i think your criteria is wrong. And like you say they're many great manga out there so its hard to make a criteria that works for all of them so i think this threads just doesn't work cuz you can't make one, they're so many people with different tastes and so many different manga, yes a lot of people may like the same manga, or have the similar tastes but making a criteria is just not gonna work, and going back to what i said earlier if people are looking just to try out manga or anime this wouldn't be even near to the first place they'd look. Sorry im being very negative but, i just don't think it'll work.
It would work if this thread is a thread for what you think to be must read manga, but please dont change it to that cuz im fed up of that type of thread, its been done so many times in this thread and no offence AllenWalker but how many threads have you made that are pretty much exactly the same as all your others ones you've made or hardly any different or already done before. Im tired of looking at the forums and seeing threads that have same subject over and over again! i don't care if you think im being an arse cuz its so annoying.
31st October 2010 23:14 #8
The World's Greatest Exorcist
  • Send Message
Also, you can't forget the entire Dragon Ball series
Last edited: 31st October 2010 23:48 by AllenWalker

Post Your Reply
You need to be logged in to post a comment. Need an account? Click here to register,