not possible to enter mangable
24th January 2011 17:24 #16
Regular User
  • Send Message
yeah, that would probably work out good. Maybe you could put the email address into the error message if you can access the code that generates the message.
Officially Certified Goofball
25th January 2011 02:37 #17
Regular User
  • Send Message
just wanted to put it in for the record that another crash just happened. and obviously recovered.
26th January 2011 10:43 #18
Regular User
  • Send Message
Andy, I'm not sure, that would be a good idea, you would get tons of mails :P
But maybe there is a software which checks every few minutes and informs you as soon the site is down?
26th January 2011 15:54 #19
Regular User
  • Send Message
Hmmm... Idk, maybe you should check to see if there is a way to have it automatically send you an email when that happens, and then possibly block out repeat occurrences for a certain amount of time... what is the site written in? Tell me and maybe I can help look in the APIs. (assuming that's what the docs are called, like in javascript)
26th January 2011 17:46 #20
Regular User
  • Send Message
Hi andy

i had the proble happen to me over the past few days/

it sounds like the sql database is strugerling how many cores is the sql set up to use?

have you had a thorght of load balencing the server with the old server?
26th January 2011 18:08 #21
Regular User
  • Send Message
Originally posted by rollerjames
Hi andy

it sounds like the sql database is strugerling how many cores is the sql set up to use?

You know, that sounds about right, but somehow I'm not sure if that would be possible, I assume at least that the server is faster because we switched to a different server host. So it's possible that Andy may not even have access to the actual server and just pays someone else to keep it active. If that's the case I doubt that both can be used simultaneously, but he should go to the people that he is renting the server from.

Of course he could be running the server himself in which case everything I said is totally pointless and mute. XD
26th January 2011 20:07 #22
Site Administrator
  • Send Message
Haha NanoCarp, thanks for the interest :)

Hi andy

Hey James,

Thanks for the help.

I'll shoot you a PM now :)
28th January 2011 23:08 #23
Regular User
  • Send Message
Just like about NOW (!) the website closed down on me when i was trying to type up a reply to one of the forums!!!!!!!!
(even thought it was for a few seconds...)

this annoying message popped up for the hundredth time this week!!:

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: User mangable_user already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections in /home/mangable/public_html/_global.php on line 11
Sorry, but Andy's code has broken.. eer..
User mangable_user already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections

is it going to ever stop?
pleze hurry and fix it cuz i was about to attack my poor laptop with a hammer!
Last edited: 28th January 2011 23:10 by mangaLuVeR

never judge a book by it's cover!' - never get bored of this quote!
u can call me Mana!

29th January 2011 00:52 #24
Regular User
  • Send Message
Originally posted by mangaLuVeR
Just like about NOW (!) the website closed down on me when i was trying to type up a reply to one of the forums!!!!!!!!
(even thought it was for a few seconds...)

this annoying message popped up for the hundredth time this week!!:

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: User mangable_user already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections in /home/mangable/public_html/_global.php on line 11
Sorry, but Andy's code has broken.. eer..
User mangable_user already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections

is it going to ever stop?
pleze hurry and fix it cuz i was about to attack my poor laptop with a hammer!

i'm sure andy is working on it as we speak (er, type). give him some time. I've even noticed that the time spent down has been dropping recently so, he is trying to fix it. This isn't going to be an instantly fixable problem and is going to take trial-and-error to fix most likely.
30th January 2011 16:49 #25
Site Administrator
  • Send Message
The guys at the data centre have installed another couple of GB of RAM onto the server. We shall see if this fixes it :)

Keep me updated.

Also, I have implemented a system to send an alert straight to my iPhone whenever the site is down. (I can see this being a bad idea come 4am in the morning when i'm sleeping, hah)
30th January 2011 16:50 #26
Regular User
  • Send Message
LOL, that's good, there was another outage last night, but you probalby knew that cause of ur new app.
31st January 2011 22:16 #27
Regular User
  • Send Message
oh andy its never a good idear to have the alarm emails sent to you on a mobile i get it from 14 servers all at once in power cuts at the middle of the night then have to go in and power them back up (overtime pay :D)
1st February 2011 16:08 #28
Site Administrator
  • Send Message
It seems that it needed a little tweeking. The users table became corrupt today (Noone would have noticed a problem - unless you were logged in - doh!). All fixed now.

oh andy its never a good idear to have the alarm emails sent to you on a mobile i get it from 14 servers all at once in power cuts at the middle of the night then have to go in and power them back up (overtime pay :D)

HAha.

Yeah, oddly enough - I slept through the alerts last night.. and the iPhone is right next my pillow. But jeez, having to get up and go to work to power them back up seems a little more crazy. I only have to roll a couple of feet from my bed, haha.

I'm using a great little app called Pushme.to. They allow a form to be submitted so people on the website can contact you easily.. but a bit of modification using cURL, and I have it set up on a server cron job.

I might put it on a docking station tonight and turn the volume up xD
1st February 2011 22:33 #29
Regular User
  • Send Message
all i can say is lucky having to only roll out of bed.

any progress on the mysql yet?
2nd February 2011 00:22 #30
Site Administrator
  • Send Message
all i can say is lucky having to only roll out of bed.

any progress on the mysql yet?

Added another couple GB RAM to the server, however - doesn't seem to have done much.

Only things I can think of next is to implement a caching system. Although, i'm not too sure how this would work - the site still has to make DB queries to check if the user is logged in... etc - but not sure if I could close the connection after that query, or whether it would make much of a difference?

Damn large scale systems!
Post Your Reply
You need to be logged in to post a comment. Need an account? Click here to register,