Supported: gif, jpg, jpeg, png
30th December 2010 02:51 #1
Emperor of the Forum
  • Send Message
this rather weird at the settings it says that the profile picture can be a gif. But when you upload it it will only show the first frame, and not the whole gif like it should do.

is this a bug or is it supposed to be like this?
Last edited: 30th December 2010 02:54 by MrAcid

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
my name is Jens by the way , but don't abuse it because I have that name copyrighted
30th December 2010 03:44 #2
Regular User
  • Send Message
yeah it does the same with me
30th December 2010 10:40 #3
Site Administrator
  • Send Message
Ooorly. I never noticed that.

It was never supposed to be either. I tested that it uploaded gif, jpg, jpeg and png when I made it - but I guess I never tested animated gifs. I'll take a look at that :)

EDIT: I tell a lie. Looking back over the script - I remember now.

I'll not bore you with the details, but it revolves around trying to resize an animated gif (all images that you upload for your profile picture are checked, resized, optimised.. if they are too big). To resize the image, whilst trying to keep the animation is a little trickier than you might think. It involves either installing extra software onto the server, or first getting all of the frames from the animation, saving them separately, and then putting them back together

EDIT: Now I don't have my original avatar as I uploaded a small animation, bah!
Last edited: 30th December 2010 11:30 by andy

30th December 2010 12:24 #4
Emperor of the Forum
  • Send Message
aha thanks now i understand

lol its not a animation its just a picture of a car

i dont know how it works but maybe you can use the same method with uploading profile pictures and uploading forum signatures.
because forum signatures can be gif, and are resized (i think).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
my name is Jens by the way , but don't abuse it because I have that name copyrighted
30th December 2010 17:04 #5
Site Administrator
  • Send Message
HAha, yeah. I had to upload the car as I could not find me original picture :(

Well, with the forum signatures.. they are simply linked to instead of being uploaded. Where as avatars can only be uploaded.

Signatures are supposed to be below 728x60.. but as people had hugge images - I had to automatically resize them. Whilst this visually resizes them, it does not reduce the file size.

Avatars are set to a maximum width and height when uploaded, which means I can control the file sizes of them.

Smaller file sizes, means faster page loads (especially when the content is hosted on our servers). That's why you will often find manga at horribly low quality on some sites - because they are trying to save bandwidth and speed.

I could allow users to link to any image they want for the avatar. However, seeing as most people upload an avatar, and not the majority of people do not have an image in their signature) - I decided to have users upload it instead.

What i'm trying to say. Is. Having control over the avatars that people upload, allows the forums (especially) to run nice and quick.

Thinking about it.. I could let people specify their own URLs for the avatars.. i'll have to give that some more thought, though.

Sorry for the essay, there.
30th December 2010 19:46 #6
Regular User
  • Send Message
haha yeah like pretty much only me and MrAcid have picture signatures, and a few others
31st December 2010 14:40 #7
Emperor of the Forum
  • Send Message
yep that sure is

and essay is very useful because now i know why that is

and sad to hear about your profile picture
Post Your Reply
You need to be logged in to post a comment. Need an account? Click here to register,